Friday, May 30, 2014

Sony PS-X75 Biotracer Plays The Who



Well, if I am going to dust off Daniel Thomas Vol 4 and get back into a publishing routine, I will have to write a lot more about music and hi-fi audio.  What better time to listen to my favorite turntable, the mighty Sony PS-X75 Biotracer battleship?

My own hi-fi journey often feels like Billy from Family Circus: a lot of meandering and jumping around the neighborhood, only to wind up at the house across the street.  Back in 2009, I had a spectacular stereo system: Sony PS-X75 Biotracer, Dynavector 10x5 phono cartridge, Pro-Ject Tube Box II with a pair of Mullard 12AX7's.  In less than six months, it was all gone, and I've lamented the loss ever since.  You would think that I would have saved my pennies to rebuild that classic system...but, ohhh nooo.  I've spent years with varying budget turntables, cartridges and phono stages.  It's been a fun journey of learning and discovery, but I'm still sorely missing the days when my music rattled the windows.

Thankfully, I have a Biotracer deck back in my hands, the smaller and more svelte 1981-84 PS-X600.  But I have a tube phono preamp that's nowhere as richly musical as the Pro-Ject Tube Box.  But I'm working to solve that problem right now.  Hopefully, before the end of the year, I can score that Dynavector cart and be back in the promised land.  Maybe...the key difference between 2014 and 2009 is that I'm now married.  "Spare Money" has become a fleeting illusion to me now.

Anyway, enjoy this video of Who's Next.  This LP only really came alive on the PS-X75.  It's a spectacular example of what makes spinning records so much fun.

No comments: